Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Organizing Your Kids - Guest Post


 Hello.  I am Paul, age 7.  I would like to tell you about a way to keep your kids organized.  When Mommy made this chart, it helped me remember to do all my subjects.  She didn't like it when we ran around the house or wrestled too much. When she tells us to remember our chart, we stop wasting time.  I can do the things in any order I want.  There are no time limits.  I check the box after I do each thing.




You block out the days you don't want them to do something on the list.  

Like on Monday I don't do writing or science or dramatic arts.  

On Tuesday  I don't do spelling, social studies or art.  

On Wednesday I don't do science or dramatic arts.  

On Thursday I don't do spelling, social studies or art. 

On Friday I don't do science or dramatic arts.

On Saturday I just do reading and multiplication and Bible and chores and PE.

On Sunday I just do reading and art and PE and chores and Bible.

Some things I do everyday--like chores, reading, Bible and PE.


Some ideas from my Mom:

- If you have preschoolers you might include the following (maybe using pictures with or without words?):

- build with your blocks
- draw a picture with crayons
- paint with watercolors
- do a puzzle
- spell your name with magnet letters
- spell your name in shaving cream 
- do the hokey pokey
- do your finger rhymes
- sing five songs
- play "Ring Around the Rosey"

Preschoolers thrive with routine, but not with timed schedules.  You could give them a certain order to do these things, or have them choose the order, depending on the child.  You'll find they still have plenty of free time.  Even my first and third-grade boys have plenty of free time each day.


No comments: