Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook 1/20/15


Outside my window

After one snow day in November and nothing in December, Ohio is finally receiving some semi-regular snow, evidenced by several snowmen in the neighborhood. Snow is winter's fancy dressing, like leaves in fall and flowers in spring. I sincerely missed it.

I am thinking

We missed eight days of school due to the flu and its aftermath. I'm so thankful for some very productive school days now, with a new, detailed winter schedule leaving nothing out. Without a detailed schedule, we don't do well here. The more children you're schooling, the more necessary it is to be intentional, and accountable to a detailed schedule reflecting your values and goals.

Our Internet was down for four days and we learned that we're more productive here without it. My basketball fans were hoping to keep up with college basketball scores, but during the outage they learned they're fine with not knowing how a game turned out. The children and I resolved to keep Internet use to a minimum, with no checking up on our interests until school and chore hours end. We all share one PC so allowing everyone on each day can be a challenge, but it's working to keep its use to after 3:45 PM, except for the boys' math DVD program.

I am reading

During morning devotions we're reading Wisdom And the Miller's, based on Proverbs, which is the best devotional I've ever used with children. It's appropriate for multiple ages, including teens. I love it so much I read ahead in the evenings. The stories used to illustrate each Proverb are engrossing and highly convicting for all.




For evening devotions with Daddy, we're reading Leading Little Ones to God by Marian Schoolland.

I'm reading my way through John in the Bible.

I've ordered several other Miller Family Series resources, and just today I ordered Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel.






I am thankful...

~ for the privilege of being a parent. It's incredibly challenging but I love it immensely.

~ for 4 little hearts to shape for His glory, by his grace.

~ for Proverbs, Psalms and the Gospels...really the whole Word of God.

~ that my Paul loves reading the Bible.

~ for family prayer.

~ that we are all finally well again!

~ for reaching the teen years with Peter, as of January 11, and we're still close!

~ for the All About Spelling program, which all the children love.

~ for my husband's hard work and dedication to his family.

~ for a clean bill of health after my diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. I'm so glad that's over! There were some benign cyst areas. This type of detailed mammogram was very painful, with its intense squeezing of the breast tissue (a more intense squeezing than a regular mammogram). I had to think, privately, "You've got to be kidding me! Aren't you injuring tissue with this thing?" You're not supposed to breathe while she takes the picture. While it's painful, it's also fast once she places you and gets behind the camera.

Afterwards the tech asked me if I'd had any trouble with discharge from my breasts (one of the breast cancer signs), because she saw a discharge during the squeezing, which I was unaware of in my pained state. When she told me about it I felt ninety percent certain it was probably breast milk leftover. Most women can squeeze a few drops out months after nursing, but it doesn't occur to us to do this.

I had to then get an ultrasound partially because of the fluid she saw. I told the ultrasound tech about finishing nursing just 18 months prior, which she relayed to the doctor who reads the films. The doctor thought that was a sufficient explanation and said not to worry about it.

I don't look forward to yearly mammograms after this experience! I had no idea what to expect prior to getting my first mammogram in December. Honestly, I thought you stood there without a shirt and got an x-ray carefully targeted to only the breast. That's not what happens. A tech places your breast between some plates, which squeeze it to practically a pancake quite frankly, allowing for a detailed picture. Two films are taken on each side from different angles. A regular mammogram does not necessary hurt, however. Just the diagnostic type, in my experience.

Scriptures for family life encouragement

Proverbs 12:7 The wicked are overthrown and are no more, but the house of the righteous stands firm.

Proverbs 22:6 Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Proverbs 31:28-29 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”

Joshua 24:15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

Genesis 33:5 Then Esau looked up and saw the women and children. “Who are these with you?” he asked. Jacob answered, “They are the children God has graciously given your servant.”

Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Galatians 4:4-7 But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship. Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out,“Abba,Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.

Ephesians 1:3-6 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Ephesians 6:1-2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—

Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

Colossians 3:18-20 Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

Have a good week!

No comments: